I have used Finale since version 2.0.1 for Mac in early 1990. From what I've
seen, Finale is the most versatile notation software ever. Even Sibelius --
Finale's closest competitor -- can't compare to Finale's overall
flexibility.

All software involves kludges in order to perform certain specialized tasks.
In almost all cases, re-writing the code in order to eliminate the kludges
for these specific tasks creates new bugs and problems for ordinary tasks.

I think the Finale development team, given their resources (as compared to
Adobe, Inc. for example) have done an excellent job over the years in
providing us with very functional notation software.

I'd also like to add that it's a very good thing that Finale has competition
from Sibelius. If it weren't for competition, neither product would
remarkably improve.

Brian Williams

PS. I still use Finale 2003 booted in MacOS 9 for some work that involves
imported EPS graphics. This will change soon, since I've discovered that my
old EPS graphics simply need to have their previews updated in order to work
with newer versions of Finale. Details upon request.