dc wrote:
> Does anyone know if one has to pay any kind of taxes (besides the
> outrageous shipping price!), when ordering the 99$ upgrade from MM and
> having it shipped to Europe?
>
> I seem to recall that below a certain price (100$, 150$), there weren't
> any other taxes.
>
> I also recall that when I ordered a large upgrade a few years ago I got
> hit...

Here in Germany we have to pay import duties and 19% VAT on all goods imported
from outside the EU.
If I remember correctly, all goods with a value (including shipping costs!) up
to 22 EUR are
duty-free. Computers, computer-related hardware and books are always duty-free.
The most annoying additional charge is the VAT on price + shipping costs +
customs (why do we have
to pay VAT on shipping costs and customs?).
So it's usually rather expensive to buy physical goods from the US.

Martin