I believe on the Mac it's a "unix shell". type "exit", all in lower case, and press return.

Andrew Stiller wrote:

On Aug 17, 2007, at 8:06 PM, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

If you don't have the disks, you can reboot your Mac, and hold down the Apple and the S key, and that will dump you into the shell, where you can run fsck on the drive (it tells you what to type when you go into that mode).

An excellent idea, and a fascinating aspect of my computer that I had no idea even existed. I ran it as directed, and it told me my computer looked fine. Now what?

...And BTW, how, short of a manual reboot, do you get *out* of the shell when yr done w it?