On Aug 22, 2007, at 11:34 PM, Claudio Pompili wrote:

Don't know about FinMac2k8 EPS but I've done a lot of EPS from Fin2k7c/OSX 10.4.10 to Word 2k4 in last 6 months without any problems (after I'd done some serious re-organising of all of my fonts [I use PS Type 1 fonts wherever possible] and noting all the discussions on EPS probs on this list). The issue for me was which format graphic file, other than the full EPS, to use that offered a good compromise between clarity and size, noting that Word 2k4's preferred format is PNG. At times there are significant file size differences between Preview and Graphic Convertor, the reasons for which I haven't as yet cracked, however, both PNG's are very presentable even with some reasonable enlargement.

Did a lot of tests 6 months ago and went with Finale 2k7 Export as EPS (fonts embedded) and then converted to PNG either in Preview or Graphic Converter 5.9 (www.lemkesoft.com). For annotated examples I use Illustrator CS3 and export to PNG.

I was curious about Darcy's workflow to Print>Save as PDF, then crop in Preview and import the PDF into Word. Did some tests this morning using a fairly basic Fin2k7 score with Maestro and Engraver Type1 fonts and other text fonts. All fairly standard. I created both a PDF (Print>Save as PDF) and EPS (Export EPS) files from FinMac2k7. I put together a comparison Word 2k4 doc of both PDF (132kb) and EPS (492kb) files from all three graphics apps.

Using the PDF file (132kb of complete page) as the starting point, I found that when I did the cropped PDF in Preview, it retains all of the underlying PDF data so file size is not reduced from original. Secondly, when the cropped PDF is dragged into Word 2k4, the onscreen image appears initially acceptable but on closer inspection quite fuzzy at modest magnifications. Similarly at modest magnification not good when printed to Brother laser HL-1430 600dpi and HP LaserJet 1200dpi. Don't understand this result only my system.

It's because Word only prints the screen preview, at screen resolution. It doesn't print the actual PDF itself, which if it has only text (no pictures) is infinitely scaleable at your printer's full resolution. Pages is the only consumer-level program I know of on Mac that imports PDF properly. You have to lay out big bucks for a full publication app to get that, normally.

Using the same starting PDF file, I got a got a good result from Preview/Illustrator with modest file size when I converted it to PNG (60kb) and dragged it into Word 2k4. Using the Fin2k7 PDF file.

I also tried converting from the PDF to EPS and dragging that into Word2k4. Preview doesn't provide for saving the PDF file as EPS

Actually, the Mac OS does. Print the PDF, but under PDF in the Print dialogue, select "Save PDF as Postscript." That will do it. When I tried this with a PDF with my arrows, I got an error. Other Finale files worked out fine. I just wasn't able to crop the PS file directly; I had to do it to the PDF first.

but both Graphic Converter and Illustrator do but create EPS files of around 700kb in size. When dragged into Word 2k4, the onscreen graphic looks awful but prints in crisp EPS clarity. Still, this could be a workaround if having problems with Finale's Export EPS.

Of course, the very best results in the most straightforward manner were achieved by starting with the Fin2k7 export EPS file and embedded fonts.

Absolutely.

Thanks so much for your exhaustive (and exhausting, I am sure!) tests and comments.

Best,

Christopher