Oh, the instrument (Eb Cornet) is available, for certain, and still standard for brass bands, as are a whole set of Bb Cornets. It is not a standard instrument in concert bands anymore. College wind ensembles could use it for historical performances if they wish, or sub an Eb trumpet, (which several of the college students will probably own) if the members of rest of the section are playing trumpets.

I think we are making too much of the difference between cornets and trumpets, frankly. Do some blind tests, and I think you will often hear more difference between players than between instruments. Cornets are mellower, sweeter, and project less, but I've heard guys who can make the difference vanish, in both good and bad ways.

For a look at the world in which cornets are alive and well, see the NABBA (North American Brass Band Association) website:
http://www.nabba.org/


NABBA's championship is held, for the next several years, a few miles from my house at Indiana University Southeast in New Albany. Thousands of brass band members from all over the US, and from other continents as well, flock to the campus for two days every spring. The quality in the upper levels is extremely high.

I sub on solo euphonium with one of the two local brass bands in the area now and then. The traditional music is nearly all British, and is great fun. Not the problems of varying instrumentation of mixed bands, as was mentioned earlier - the instrumentation is standard. (There is also a smaller nine-piece standard group, also but I have no experience with it.)


Raymond Horton


John Howell wrote:
At 11:15 PM -0400 8/23/07, Raymond Horton wrote:

Missing the Eb soprano cornet is a problem for modern band with these older works, but with more woodwinds in the modern band this can often suffice. I've been working a lot with British-style brass bands, lately, and the Eb soprano cornets are certainly the woodwinds of those groups.

Actually I just got the Fall-Winter catalog for The WoodWind & Brasswind, and took a moment to look through the trumpet-cornet-flugelhorn pages. Yes, they list many more pages of trumpets, both Bb and specialty keys, but there are several pages of cornets and several choices of Eb soprano cornets, including Schilke, which ain't chopped liver!

The problem is actually that the trumpet has become the all-purpose instrument, needed for orchestral work, jazz band work, and marching band work. The cornet, especially one played with the proper mouthpiece and technique, is a vanishing voice out of choice, and not because instruments are not available.

John



_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to