I agree with you, David. When I orchestrate or arrange, and want a specific sound from an instrument family, I'll have no qualms about using an alto clarinet (non-doubled) or a couple flugelhorns, or whatever. I mandate that the ensemble find the instrument or don't play the piece; I'm that adamant about it. Glad some people out there feel the same way.

----- Original Message ----- From: "dhbailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Finale] Turn-of-the-century Band Music

David W. Fenton wrote:
[snip]>
Am I misinterpreting the discussion here? Is my position basically what all y'all were advocating? Or do even university-level and professional bands seldom/never adapt their instrumentation to the music they are playing?

I think you would find that the upper level university bands and professional bands will perform as close to the original instrumentation as possible, even to the use of Db piccolos.

But the lower level university bands (at those colleges and universities which have more than one band) and all community bands are a lot like high school bands -- if you're a member you expect to play some in every piece.

--
David H. Bailey