Sibelius will read XML but a plug-in must be bought to write XML. A pain. However, Sibelius 5 will read and write in Sibelius 4, 3 & 2 formats. I now use Sibelius 5 and manage site licenses in my school district for both Sibelius 4 & 3. File sharing is not a problem and our older machines are able to run a version that suits them.

My latest Finale is 2005. I really need an upgrade but folks on this list complain so much that I just soldier on with 05 :). However, I understand that currently Finale will not write to previous formats. I can not imagine why. That strikes me as just more of the arm twisting that MM does to make sure they renew your yearly "subscription".

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com

Noel Stoutenburg wrote:
Kurt Gnos wrote:
At the moment there don't even exists a "Finale Notepad 2008", so nobody but
Finale 2008 users can use my files.
If history repeats itself, Finale Notepad 2k8 will be forthcoming in the next few weeks.
I *really* miss the file compatibility most because I do a lot of stuff in teams - projects for choir, for band, and it was so much easier if we could
exchange and open our files instead of relying on PDFs and starting from
scratch, or going through the pains of using midi files (they ARE a pain if you have to use them with Finale). It would be *so* nice if you could just open it on any computer having an adequate software running, as you can with
"doc"-file or power-point-files, or PDFs. That would be the sign of real
professionality for me. ...

I'm [content] if I can open them on any actual PC or Mac using Finale or Sibelius.
Well you can, using the facilities of Music XML, and while at one time Finale files were open enough that Sibelius was able to read some Finale files, Sibelius has always used a proprietary data format, and to my knowledge has never released it, behavior that Finale is unfortunately coming to mimic. Light version of music XML has been shipped with Finale for several releases, but I don't know about S~.

ns