On 22-Sep-07, at 8:42 AM, dc wrote:

Kim Patrick Clow écrit:
I generated sample files for you at
http://www.bytenet.net/kpclow/finale/dennis/

Another thing that strikes immediately is the difference in quality between in the PDFs on screen between Finale and Sibelius.

Why, oh why, can't Finale produce decent looking PDF files? Since MM only reacts if many people complain, I urge all Windows Finalists to complain about the crappy PDFs produced by Finale.

Actually, I checked this out because I never had any problem with creating PDFs on Mac and I wanted to know what the issue was for Windows users.

The Finale PDF is apparently a Windows-produced PDF, and it shows up with grey lines (instead of black) when viewed onscreen using Preview (the Mac catch-all viewing program). This seems to be the case with most Windows PDFs I see. However, when I view it using Acrobat Reader, everything is thick and black and exactly in the right places, as far as I can tell. Furthermore, it prints correctly even from Preview.

Could this be simply a Preview issue? How does the Finale PDF look to a Windows user?

The Sibelius PDF looks fine in Preview AND in Adobe. Was it produced using a third-party distiller like Acrobat, or some other means? Was it made using a different method than the Finale PDF, is what I am asking?

Christopher