Hi all:

Last week a friend of mine had to relocate to Florence, and wasn't
able to attend some concerts here in New York City, and offered me his
ticket to see Landi's opera "Il Sant'Alessio," performed by Les Arts
Florisants at Lincoln Center's Rose Theater. I must confess, as much
as I love early music, I was a tad worried three hours of early opera
would consist of never ending secco recitatives, requiring me to reach
for a razor, and slash my wrists by Act III.

I couldn't have been more wrong! This was one of the most captivating
pieces of music I've ever seen performed. The three hours flew by! The
performance was a "slightly staged" one (i.e. light costuming, no
sets) with NINE counter-tenors, which mirrored the original
performance in Rome. The male choristers of Les Arts Florissants and
the boys' choir La MaƮtrise de Caen performed several
choruses/chorales to great effect (especially during a dance of
demons). Hearing 40 voices split up into two choirs across a hundred
foot stage was gorgeous. So much of the music from this period relies
on echo effects; and spatial separation just brings the best elements
in that style. The continuo section large and included a harp, two
harpsichords, archlute, lute and guitar, organ, and regal.

The opera is a drama/comedy, with the two bad boys stealing the show
at the end of Act I, dancing their way into the orchestra and flirting
with performers and being very silly. Satan's role, sang by a bass, is
highly unusual, the original singer must have had an extraordinary
range, I've never heard any arias requiring such a low range. The
final act was so heart breaking: an angel (sang by a boy soprano) is
sent to console the dying Alessio. This aria had me (and quite a few
in the audience) in tears. I don't know if it's the norm, but the
applause at the end of the opera lasted about ten minutes, with many
bravos being shouted. The performance was well attended. Sant'Alessio
is going to be fully staged in Europe in several cities, so if you
have a chance, make every effort to see it!

The New York Times Review is available online:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/arts/music/31ales.html?_r=1&oref=slogin


Thanks much
Kim Patrick Clow

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to