keith wrote:
Recent thread re piccolo range prompted local discussion on saxes.
Most modern bari saxes now have low A as standard, but what about sopranos,
altos and tenors?

A friend of mine, nice alto player and fair soprano player, is currently
bemoaning the lack of low A on her soprano.

I've never heard alto, tenor or sop with low A- but then I'm not a
saxophonist.

Any thoughts?


I've never seen a soprano with a low A, but I have seen both an alto and a tenor with low A on them (both made by Selmer, and I've only ever seen one of each in over 30 years as an instrument repairman).

They are not common and shouldn't have low A written for them or saxophonists will simply laugh at you.

It is possible to imitate a low A by holding the bell against your leg (or a seat cushion for a straight soprano, I think) while playing a low Bb, but it's not great tone nor is it really in tune.

--
David H. Bailey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to