dhbailey wrote:
dhbailey wrote:
Jari Williamsson wrote:
dhbailey wrote:
1) it doesn't work in FireFox, it only works in Internet Explorer. I installed the viewer after exiting FireFox, started FireFox again and still get the error message "Click Here To Install PlugIn" where the music should appear. And no message whatsoever on the web-site stating that Internet Explorer is necessary for proper viewing of the site. There is no option at all in the installation process for FinaleViewer to use any browser at all, it seems only to look for and install for IE.

FWIW, I got exactly the same problem as you described above when trying to install Scorch in the latest version of Firefox. And when installing it on IE6, the installer when completely nuts and started endless instances of itself.

IMO, neither a Finale nor Sibelius viewer is a good alternative for the end user. A MusicXML viewer (with font inclusion) is one thing that would make sense, another would be a SVG solution with playback. The Sibelius music I looked at yesterday looked so bad that virtually nothing would be lost in a conversion to a generic format.



Wow, interesting, because Scorch installed just fine for me in both Firefox and IE6.

I agree that neither is an ideal solution for an end user, and any such electronic purchase of music which doesn't allow the end users to end up with a printable file on their computer is doomed to failure. There's just too much which can go wrong, witness the problems we're all having with these supposedly foolproof viewers. :-)

I'm not about to spend $95 for a band work where I won't end up with a file which can be reprinted when needed. Who among the vast numbers of the supposed market these merchants are aiming at have printers set up with heavy-duty, acid-free, won't die/rip/get-soaked-and-rot papers and printers which can handle such paper?

$95 for a single-use piece of music?  No thank you.



The most interesting thing about this supposed coup over Sibelius is that now NONE of my Finale installations work properly!!!!!!

I should have expected as much and left well-enough alone and not even tried to investigate!

So much for this being a "good thing" that MakeMusic has convinced Hal Leonard to use this product which doesn't work.


Well, now that I have figured things out I've calmed down.

I tried to reinstall the fonts for Finale (they weren't showing up at all after I installed the FinaleViewer) and still nothing.

Then I was about to do a full reinstall of Finale when a little birdie suggested that I should reboot the computer.

I rebooted and all my versions of Finale are now working again.

There was nothing, absolutely nothing during the installation of FinaleViewer which said that for it to work properly one needed to reboot one's computer.

Truly a badly designed installation procedure -- it didn't check to see if Finale was already installed and didn't provide any instructions at all, simply installed with no options and no instructions and that was that.



--
David H. Bailey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to