At 09:38 AM 2/4/2008, themark wrote:
>I say that because when you apply an expression you have the choice to
>apply it to all layers or to a certain layer only, leaving HP apart.
>This does not happen with the articulation tool.

As I said in my explanation, this is because expressions generally affect a MIDI channel, and their effect lasts for longer than the duration of a single note -- a change made by an expression is in effect until it is cancelled by another expression. An articulation applies to one single note in one single layer. So Finale makes different assumptions about how you want to apply expressions and articulations.

Now, having said that, you can apply an articulation to notes in multiple layers by using the drag-enclose method. With the articulation tool selected, drag-enclose the notes you want to apply the articulation to, and then select the correct articulation in the dialog box. You'll see that the articulation was applied to any selected notes in all layers.

In Fin06, I think you still do need to then drag the artic in the second layer by hand if you don't want it to show up, either by putting it on top of the artic in the first layer, or dragging it off the page. In Fin07 and later, you can just right-click on the artic and choose Hide.

Aaron.