OK - that's one reported pro "Distratto" performance! (No report on how many, if any, of the fiddlers brought their alternate instruments.)

Trombone low B:
I teach my tenor trombone students to fake a low B - lipping down the C, since most of them don't have an E pull anyway.

I have a nice, lighter-playing single-valve bass trombone (an old George Roberts model Holton), in addition to my orchestral double-valve Bach (on which the valves are removable). On the Holton I can fake a B very nicely. George told me he would pull to E if a B was sustained, or fake it if it was in passing.

Re - Bartok: An E pull alone does not get you the Bartok glissandi, as they are B to F. Most players play them switching from two valves to one, in the middle of the gliss. Doug Yeo in Boston Symphony had an F bass with long slide (7 positions) made (like the instrument in Bartok's head). The best way, short of the latter, is to start with an E pull and have tuba player push the slide in in mid-gliss (two hands - it works!).

RBH

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Well, low B isn't exactly a staple for trombones--not quite a pedal tone,
and not that versatile as a first harmonic. Esp for tenor 'bone. I've
always found it worthwhile to work around the challenges of instrumental
limitations to solve my problems--after, look at what Haydn pulled out of
the same necessity!

(Also, St. Louis Symphony did program the "Distratto" a buncha years
ago--I didn't get to hear it, though.)

ajr

I had answered this before, as Carl probably assumed a double-valve
bass trombone (which is standard now), but I just saw a show today
where the tenor trombonist had to play a low B FOR THE FIRST TIME IN
HIS CAREER! He is 47 and has held first trombone positions in major
orchestras and played every kind of gig under the sun, and he said he
didn't even know if his valve slide still moved until he had to pull it.

I just thought it was funny that this subject came up, and the same
week a guy with so much experience had never seen a written low B
before on a gig. Of course, he IS a tenor trombonist, but just the same!

C.