Christopher Smith wrote:

On Apr 16, 2008, at 8:39 AM, dc wrote:

dhbailey écrit:
Why we can "add measures" at the end without ever knowing what a "measure stack" is yet we can't insert "measures" we have to know that we really want to insert a "measure stack" escapes me. Either we're adding or inserting a "measure stack" (which appears to be Finale's attempt to remind us that it will insert a pile of measures in each staff of the score) or we're not. Why not have both the Add and the Insert called the same, since we are indeed working with "measure stacks" in both instances?

Thanks, David. I was trying to add measures before a selected measure, and only realized after that they were added at the end. I ended up inserting a "measure stack", indeed, and was also a bit surprised by the term!!

Yup, "measure stack" is an invented Finale term (like "tuplet", which I still insist didn't exist before Finale used it!) to differentiate single measures in one staff (or a group of staves) from single measures that include ALL instruments. It was in the What's New section...

I can understand that they felt they needed a term to clarify that actually deleting a measure or inserting a measure acted on all the staves in the score at that point. I have no problem with that, if it really helps.

My gripe is that they allow us to add "measure" but we have to insert or delete "measure stack" -- in other words they are inconsistent in their own use of their own term. When we add measures, we are adding them to all staves the same as when we insert or delete, so why haven't they used their precious new term for that menu item as well? It gives the appearance of that menu item acting differently since it's a different term, when in fact it simply puts the measure stack at the end of the file, instead of acting at the location of a selected measure. It's still acting on a measure stack.

It's just one more example of how poorly thought through their user interface is (and becoming more and more so with each new version, in my opinion.)

--
David H. Bailey