On Wed, May 7, 2008 1:06 pm, Eric Dannewitz wrote:
> I'm chiming in with a vote for a Marantz flash recorder. I have one that
> I've been using for 4 years now, and it is a workhorse. Phantom power,
> records to compact flash. I can get 3+ hours of recording at 44.1
> uncompressed. I use a Rode NT4 mic.
> They probably have better units now.........and smaller. This unit is like
> the size of a hardback book.

I was just about to buy it when the Microtrack came out -- and by then it
had better audio specs. The Marantz got relatively weak audio ratings, and
there was even a company that specialized in gutting and replacing the ADC
in those Marantz units.

But I had to wait because the Microtrack orders were way backed up at the
beginning. Because I was leaving for Europe, I got an M-Audio Mobile Pre
to go with my laptop instead. That's pretty shoddy, though, and its
drivers are touchy.

Dennis