Jonathan,

I am interested in trying to convert my AppleWorks DB to a Filemaker Pro DB. Can you please explain the steps that I should take to accomplish the task?

Thanks.

With pleasure:

Open up your appleworks DB file and do a save as and select ASCII Text under file format.

Open up the Filemaker pro file, you will firstly need to set this up with some fields similar to the ones in the appleworks file.

Then from the filemaker file menu choose Import and navigate to your saved appleworks file and select it.

You will then get a 'field mapping' dialogue where you need to match up the fields from your appleworks fields to the filemaker pro file ones - you click and drag the field names in the right hand column to match the left hand column.

Once they are all aligned - Import - and your data is placed into separate records within the filemaker file.

After this it is easy to manipulate the data into a form that suits your layouts and reports etc. Filemaker pro is much more powerful than the appleworks version. The main thing is to get the data across intact and into separate records as it was in the appleworks file especially if you have hundreds of records.

There are lots of other various options available en route to customise the import but just a simple field to field match is all that's required to get the info across.

Hope this helps

Jonathan