In an orchestration, I have a 3/4 measure where on beat 2 everyone has a half note with fermata. I want the snare to roll on beat 2 but not through the entire fermata. I have snare notated as q rest, q w/ roll, q note w/ fermata (i.e., roll stops on 3). Of course, there is no three, practically speaking.

Is this acceptable or how else should I get the desired effect from the snare if not? And if I merely want the snare to stop rolling, without a specific strike on the last q, should I tie 2 to 3?

Richard