Brian,
How does this solve the problem of needing different schemes in score and
parts? Perhaps I am missing something here?

Perhaps what we need is an EXPANSION of the "viewable in" to include SCORE and
PARTS, with both checked as default. That way I could easily set up the desired
region for the score (measure numbers centered under the last staff, small
type) and for the parts (start of each system, above the measure, aligned left,
larger type)

ALSO: Robert Patterson has made a good argument for the "two files vs. 30
files" situation. Perhaps I was misled by all the hype for linked parts. FOR ME
it is seeming so far to create as much work as it removes.

For years, since Finale 2.2, I had done a "score for score" and "score for
parts" in many, but not all, cases. It now appears MANDATORY to create a "score
for score" and "score for parts." How does that marginal cost balance against
the marginal benefit of one file? It's a wash as far as I can tell in MY case.
I am curious if others' cases differ.

Given current storage and backup technology, I am beginning to feel that having
30 files is less of a burden than dealing with the eccentricities of linked
parts. I have to tweak parts anyway, so maybe in MY case, it's better--or just
as good--to have each part as an independent file.

Not intending to diss anyone, just trying to understand and further the
discussion. I am not in the major leagues of Finale users, but I do a fair
amount of work with it and people don't say it stinks or quit recommending me.
;-)

>Brian Williams done writ...
Actually, there's a much easier way to turn on/off which measure number
regions will print than changing the "measure number X through XX" settings-
simply change the "Viewable In:" setting at the bottom of the Measure Number
dialog. This works with any number of regions you have set up.

Brian Williams