At 8:45 PM -0400 10/5/08, timothy price wrote:
FYI

Musicians use both sides of their brains more frequently than average people

Vanderbilt University
Thu, 02 Oct 2008 06:11 UTC
Supporting what many of us who are not musically talented have often felt, new research reveals that trained musicians really do think differently than the rest of us. Vanderbilt University psychologists have found thatprofessionally trained musicians more effectively use a creative technique called divergent thinking, and also use both the left and the right sides of their frontal cortex more heavily than the average person.

Hi, Timothy, and everyone else. This may turn out to be a valid study, but I'd sure like to read the study itself rather than this press release. But in any case I would have to question whether the experiment was set up to identify cause and effect, or just correlation.

It is interesting, however, that the experimenters seem to have identified "musicians" as "instrumentalists," and ignored singers as an important class of "musicians."

They apparently also made no effort to differentiate between training that MUSICIANS would identify as more creative--i.e., composition and jazz improvisation--and training simply as performers.

A preliminary study at best, but perhaps interesting if it were to lead to studies in rather more detail.

As to the basic hypothesis, it's already accepted by most musicians just on an observational basis, and might be considered proving the obvious.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.