>From what I could tell from what I've read about this:

(1) The sample size was not terribly large (20 in the non-musician group, 20 in
the musician group). Understandable, as they have to pay their subjects, but
still makes it only a preliminary type of study.
(2) It was a correlation study, not causation.
(3) They were more than likely college students. :-)
(4) The groups were matched for like demographics and indicators, such as
age/sex/SAT score.
(5) Not sure what they meant by higher IQ scores. IQ scores as a whole have
been a very controversial topic, to say the least.
(6) There were some subjective findings that were interesting, but probably not
worth much ("musicians has a greater diversity of answers in the creativity
tests.").

In spite of all that, I found the article on study interesting (no I have not
read the original paper, it's not yet published). Why? I generally have felt
that teaching the three R's but ignoring the arts as many schools are doing
because of budget cuts is a false economy. As Mr Holland said, if you take away
music and the arts, soon there won't be anything worth reading or writing about.