I really like the French parts also, except for those darn quarter rests. They really throw me!

I agree that two parts on the same staff need to not cross and should be rhythmically similar. I should have been more clear.

I am also a horn player and have the same reaction to the 1&3, 2&4 setup. I hate it and it always causes confusion.

Richard Smith

Robert Patterson wrote:
Richard Smith wrote:

I actually prefer 2 parts on a page;

This is good practice if and only if the 2 parts appear on separate staves, as with, e.g., orchestral parts for French works. (I believe it was Durand who did this fairly consistently, but I am not certain.) However, some of the French publishers had an aggravating (and, fortunately, uncommon) practice of putting slashes in the 2nd part when it doubled the first part. This is *entirely* unacceptable, and furthermore there is no reason for it in the age of computers.

Combining 2 parts on a single staff is always a shortcut. These parts certainly can be quite servicable, but it is not best practice, at least for orchestra parts. Where it becomes particularly sticky is if the parts cross, or if they dovetail. The players are much more likely to take it into their heads to rearrange it to their liking if they see it all on one staff. I speak as one who has done so on numerous occasions because my colleagues were uninterested in playing the notation as given. (I am not the principal.) I am thinking particularly of passages where a melody tosses quickly back and forth between two players. If it is all in one part, it is much simpler to read if both play it all, but that of course kills the effect. The part the player sees should always encourage the player to play what the composer wrote, but in this case it does not.

What is truly aggravating, speaking as an orchestra horn player, is when the 1st and 3rd parts appear together on the pages of one part, and the 2nd and 4th appear together on another (irrespective of the number of staves). Do not do this if you want your parts played correctly. 1st and 3rd player are used to reading the top line, while 2nd and 4th are used to reading the bottom. If the middle two players are not paying attention to the upper left corner (imminently possible) then you may only get only your 1st and your 4th part, both doubled.