At 10:11 PM +0100 11/16/08, dc wrote:
John Howell écrit:
Of course. Otherwise everyone whose part is silent won't know that there's a fermata, will barge right ahead, and will then write in the fermata you left out while cursing you under their breath!

Well, I should have added that this is for early music, and only a few vocal parts and basso continuo. Everyone plays or sings from the score. I'm willing to add them if that's the kosher thing to do, but I don't think there's any risk of anyone barging ahead.

Ah, that's quite different. What I would expect to see, if playing from score, is a single fermata over the barline (if that's where it belongs, of course). If it is on a rest, however, my personal decision would be to duplicate it on all lines of the score. I would not expect someone reading off the bottom line to automatically search the top line for a fermata.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.