Thank you to all who contributed in the effort to answer my problem.
Yes, Human Playback is the problem. But as far as having expressions that hang it up, all I have in the score is a single melody line, just to see if it would play. No articulations, no tempo indications. The only thing I have is one time change for a bar, and a couple of double bars. On Dec 11, 2008, at 10:00 AM, <finale-requ...@shsu.edu> <finale- requ...@shsu.edu> wrote:

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:11:20 -0500
From: "Williams, Jim" <jwilli...@franklincollege.edu>
Subject: RE: [Finale] PLAYBACK freezing
To: <finale@shsu.edu>

Kim,
I assume you are using some sort of Human Playback
This crashing problem is caused most frequently by some articulation that HP dislikes. In 2009, I get it frequently with the tremolo/drumroll mark, which was hell since I was doing some marching band stuff. The only way I know of to find the offending item and keep HP on is to eliminate articulations one by one until playback succeeds. Perhaps others can identify specific problems in addition to the drumroll one I mentioned above. Another possibility is to change the HP style to another one if appropriate or turn it off. If you have HP on, try turning it off.
Jim

PS-what version of Sibelius are you using?