Christopher Smith wrote:

On Jan 24, 2009, at 6:38 PM, Howey, Henry wrote:

I was a member of The American Wind Symphony many years ago. One of the tunes we did was (I thought) the original instrumentation for Newly's Broadway show, but I am not sure. It was exciting as it was only winds and percussion. Can anyone confirm or refute this for me?

The original UK production, Aug 3, 1964, used the following orchestration:

Violin 1 & 2; Cello; Bass; Reed 1, 2 3, 4 & 5; Horn 1 & 2; Trumpet 1 & 2; Trombone; Percussion; Guitar 1 & 2; Harp; Piano

As you see, it had strings and not a LOT of brass. What you had might have been a touring orchestration for someone (maybe Newly) doing a concert show, rather than a staged book musical.

(this is only a guess!)

Christopher

Not super unusual for a pit orchestra. The Harp, guitars, and last 2 reeds are slightly different, but not a lot.

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#
http://members.cox.net/dershem