dhbailey wrote:
Brian Williams wrote:
I see the "Play Only on Pass" checkbox in the Playback tab of the Expression
designer, but I don't know what to set in the "Type" popup. I've tried
setting it to "None", changing the channel to an unused one on the pass I
don't want it to play, and setting the channel pressure and key velocity to
zero. Nothing works.

How can something so supposedly simple be so difficult?

Here's the process:
1) create an expression "2nd Time Only"
2) in the playback panel of the dialog check the Play on Pass and set it to 1 (this is contrary to what you would expect)
3) in the Type panel, select Key Velocity, and set value to 0
4) click OK to close the creation dialog, then assign that to the first note of the section you want to be heard only 2nd time 5) repeat the process, only create another expression called something like "Reset Volume" and set the text type to be Hidden (so it won't print)
6) in the playback panel, check Play on Pass and set it to 2
7) in the Type panel, select Key Velocity and set the value to match whatever the volume level should be as set by the most recent dynamic marking. 8) both of these expressions should be placed in the music at the same point, the first note of the repeated process.

I just ran through these steps in Finale2008 and they still work just like they've always worked.

Thanks!  It sounds unduly complex, but if it works should be useful.

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#
http://members.cox.net/dershem