Darcy, you are mistaken.  You cannot edit an mp3 in native mode as it is an
encoded format.  It may look to you as if you are directly editing the mp3
when you open it, but any audio editor must of course convert the file to an
audio waveform before it can be edited (whether WAV, AIFF, or a native
internal format).  I suppose you could edit the raw mp3 data, but that would
be quite useless -- it's just bits and bytes, not audio.

You are correct that every stage of conversion to and from mp3 (or any lossy
format) can potentially degrade quality compared to the original; the degree
of degradation will depend on the amount of compression.  This will be
equally true in QuickTime Player as any other editor.

Lee Actor (former digital signal processing expert in another life)
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
Assistant Conductor, Nova Vista Symphony
http://www.leeactor.com