On Apr 6, 2009, at 7:27 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

I use iTunes for only one purpose, as an MP3 player (I like the
equalization and the files sound better played through it than
through anything else on my computer).

I note that iTunes stores data in the Comments field. When I view the
properties of these files through Windows Explorer, I see something
like this:

    000002DE 000003CB 00000837 00000AF2 0000B08E 0000B08E 00003E9F
    00004855 00009AAD 00009AAD

I've always assumed this was data about equalization and such.

Now I've put some files up on the web that were copied from my
machine and they have this kind of data in the comments fields. Will
this change the way these files play for others using iTunes? An
example would be the third file on this page:

 http://tearesofthemuses.com/Listen/

Is this a problem? Should I clear these comments before uploading?

Sorry David, I don't have a definitive answer.

However, as a long time Mac/iTunes user, I'd like to contribute some guesses. First of all, I'd be amazed if items in the content field affected playback. Secondly, I thought the adjustments like the equalizer were for playback only so if you wanted to capture an audio performance which used the playback settings of your particular song, you'd have to "burn" a version with your settings. Couldn't confirm either of these beliefs with a quick query of the Apple knowledge base, however.

Dick H