The biggest problem in upgrading old files to Finale 2009 is the scattering of expressions. In the files I was working with, most of my dynamics showed up far to the right of the page. A dynamic attached to beat 2 in the original might show up as belonging to beat 10 in the upgraded file. And this is in a 4/4 measure!

The old files used a lot of what used to be called score expressions (as opposed to note expressions) and most of these were made to show up only on one staff. That used to be the best way to incorporate hairpins and dynamics on a held note.

These v2.63 files were for large orchestra and used a variety of fonts that are now outdated. (Newport, Petrucci, and so on.)

-Randolph Peters

Fiskum, Steve wrote:
Very interesting. I've upgraded 100s of 2.63 choral files and have good results going directly to 2008. Out of curiosity, what type of music are you upgrading and what types of issues were you having (I agree that 2009 is a
disaster to upgrade directly)?
Thanks,
Steve

"Randolph Peters"  wrote:
On the advice of the Finale list, I upgraded a version 2.63 file to
Finale 2008 by first going through Finale 2002.

It took a few weeks to get to it because I had to resurrect an old
computer from the crawl space. The old Mac was fine, if not slow, and
it still had Finale 2002 on it. (Finale 2002 on a Mac only works with
an older processor and OS.)

What a huge difference that made! Going directly from 2.63 into Finale 2008 or worse, Finale 2009, is a total disaster. But Finale 2002 keeps most things where they are supposed to be and that makes it easier for
Finale 2008 and 2009 to handle.

So thanks to Robert Patterson, Christopher Smith and others for their
superb help!