At 4:31 PM -0400 6/26/09, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 26 Jun 2009 at 22:19, Torges Gerhard wrote:

 Am 26.06.2009 um 22:12 schrieb David W. Fenton:

 > If there's a properties sheet that's not accessible on Windows via
 > right click, then it's a nonstandard implementation of a properties
 > sheet, and would confuse me, too.

 It's a floating window, like a palette in a painting program.
 Always on top of other windows of the same program.

And how do you retrieve or dismiss it?

Simple: Option/Apple + p toggles it on or off. Or you can go through the "Window" menu. And as I mentioned before, you can not only move all these windows around, but you can set their transparency as you please.

Regardless, it should be
accessible via the standard UI convention, and on Windows, that is
right clicking the object to get a shortcut menu that offers a
PROPERTIES choice. There's nothing esoteric about that -- it's been
the standard UI convention for this in Windows for almost 15 years.

Er, ... not everyone uses Windows, so it isn't a "standard UI convention" for everyone at all. (And I hardly need to point out that not everyone even LIKES Windows!) The program that really broke the Apple rules was Composer's Mosaic, which set up its own mini-menus, and therefore they couldn't be called every time Apple upgraded their OS. But that was MotU's problem, not Apple's.

Failure to implement standard UI conventions is a user-hostile action
on the part of programmers.

Again, despite Microsoft's desires, there are other operating systems in use and have been for a long time.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.