As the second place finisher (and Finale user) in the competition I can say
that there were many methodological problems with the contest despite
attempts to minimize them.

The intent was to have engravers reproduce the samples as closely as
possible. Length of time spent on the reproductions was not controlled.
Judges received blinded submissions but seemed unsure in some cases what
criteria they were to apply.

I argued that, ANY graphics program, even the much denigrated Apple Paint!,
could produce an exact reproduction of the digitized samples given
sufficient time.

The most significant differences are often ones of efficiency and so it is
impossible to disentangle software from wetware.

Richard Yates