At 2:13 PM +0200 7/12/09, Daniel Wolf wrote:
Mark D. Lew wrote:

"More promising is Microsoft's new suite of ClearType fonts that have
been included with Office for the past couple years. These are the
ones that all start with C (Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Consolas,
Constantia, Corbel).  I'm on Mac at home, and our computers at work
aren't that modern, so I haven't had a chance to experiment with any
of them and I'm not even sure how well they work in print.  But
they're very fine fonts with excellent readability, so maybe worth a
try.  If anyone has tried any of these for lyrics, I'd be curious to
know what you think."

Not for lyrics, since I'm also on Mac. But please allow me to cast a dissenting vote. This past school year I started getting text assignments (not music notation) turned in using Cambria, which is apparently the default font in the most recent MSWord for Windows, and I find it VERY difficult to read on screen. The default size is too small for comfortable reading (and for some reason I have to increase the zoom to 150% to read ANY text, probably due to some setting on my computer that I don't understand as well as to aging eyes). And in some cases it is in a bold version that is really ugly and even more difficult to read. When I have to read and grade student papers, I MUCH prefer good old Times, both on screen and printed out, whatever its faults may be! And for readability on Title pages and pinup posters, I always change Times to Palatino, which is much more graceful and has a gorgeous italic version. I don't have Cambria, and I really don't want it and wouldn't use it!

John

P.S. I lied! I just checked, and I DO have several forms of Cambria, but I still wouldn't use it.

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.