On 12 Jul 2009 at 20:40, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

> Mark D Lew wrote:
>
> > Whether Microsoft allows use of the fonts outside of their software
> > packages that include them, I don't know, but I do know that MS has
> > the right to license them however they choose.
>
> The fonts are presumably included in the license for certain Microsoft
> products, including Windows Vista, and Microsoft 2007 and 2008. If you
> don't have Vista, you can purchase a license to use each font for $35.00
> US each, or for the entire package, $299.00 US, from the Ascender
> Corporation (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascender_Corporation>).

They are part of more than just Windows Vista. They are included with
Internet Explorer 7 and are likely to be found on any Windows XP
computer.

They are part of Microsoft's set of base fonts for Windows as well as
applications, and I have seen no evidence anywhere that there are any
restrictions on the use of the fonts by any applications. Part of the
reason for MS wanting them distributed far and wide is so that Web
designers can use them as the font for websites (Verdana and Georgia
were designed for that very purpose).

In regard to EULAs for fonts:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_web

I can't imagine why anyone would pay for these fonts unless they were
running an OS for which MS does not distribute them (e.g., Linux, or
Mac OS without Office 2008 installed).

They really are very, very good fonts, BTW.