Completely off-topic, but I trust the judgment of people here: Does anyone want to recommend database software for me?

System: I'm on Mac OS X.4.11. No plans to upgrade, but my PowerBook is getting pretty old, so it might not be too much longer before I get a new one, at which point I assume I'll move up to whatever the current OS is.

Needs: I actually don't have any specific project that I really *need* a database for. It's just that I have the sort of collector/ record-keeper personality where I like to track things. I can think of a few things I'd enjoy tracking on a database, and once I had the software I'd probably come up with more.

Currently I'm using Excel for this sort of thing, but I'm well aware that in most cases what I really want is a real database, not a spreadsheet. Larger projects would potentially grow to ~3,000 records with ~30 fields of various types. At the moment, I don't envision anything bigger than that, but you never know.

Experience: Many years ago I had FileMaker Pro and I was very happy with it. I was thinking to buy that again now, but it's pretty spendy for something which is more a toy than a tool for me. I'm wondering if there's something cheaper out there that I might be just as happy with.

I definitely want to be able to define my own files and fields. I liked being able to custom-design input screens and output report formats, too. I do like having lots of control, but I'm sure I never came close to using all of FM's features. I do have rudimentary programming skills, but I prefer not to dig too deep into anything resembling actual programming.

Any thoughts? Is it worth it to cough up the $300 for FileMaker, or is there something else cheaper (or even free?) that might make me happy?

thanks
mdl