On Sat Oct 3, at SaturdayOct 3 9:03 AM, Haroldo Mauro Jr. wrote:

I also do not use the chord scale theory as a basis for improvisation nor in my playing neither in my teaching, simply because I think good melodies are made of chord tones plus non- harmonic tones, and those can be either diatonic or cromatic ones. Not all notes of a melody need to be from the "chord scale". Also, there is no time in improvisation, specialy when chords change fast, to play a full scale for each chord; and picking up scale tones at random won't work either in building a good melody.

If you say that good melody notes can be diatonic or chromatic ones, then you use chord scale theory. Chord scale theory only tells us which notes are more likely to be considered as "diatonic" rather than "chromatic" and gives us an easy way to practice them. After a while, we just know them and don't worry about it much any more.

Christopher