Don't you want to have Acrobat Embed all fonts rather than the subset?

i leave common fonts like times and arial out of the embed list. although the fact that some of these fonts actually look different on mac and pc makes me rethink this idea... initially i only selectively embedded fonts to reduce document size, but i guess this shouldn't realy be so much of a problem now, the extra fonts don't add so much bloat.

That is what I generally set Acrobat to do......though I haven't used it in a while since OS X has built in PDF support.....