I've just figured out a way after playing around with styles and groups for a
while.

(by the way, this is in Viola 2)

1) Set the full strings group to only between staves.
2) All of the sub-groups in the strings set to through staves.
3) Set the viola group to a custom invisible bar line. No barlines in both
viola staves now.
4) Set Viola 1 & 2 staves to hide bar lines throughout. It will now show bar
lines. (why?)
5) Use a staff style to SHOW the bar line in the measure I want it to be
invisible.

This doesn't make sense — why should the barline show on the viola staves after
removing the viola group's invisible one if the strings group is supposed to be
only between? — but it works.

Thanks for the suggestions!