Yes, there too (I just learned), but also (inside a small page icon with a bent-over corner) in the page Layout menu signifying a page break, which _was_ the problem.
Thanks for your input.
Eric
On 03.03.2010, at 19:16, Doug Walter wrote:

Not sure about the duplicate systems (I would have thought Update Layout was the solution), but I believe the "carriage return" symbol appears when, in the Measure Attributes dialog for one particular measure, the box "Begin a New Staff System" is checked.

Doug

On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Richard Yates wrote:

I think I've seen this but don't quite remember what was going on. Is there
a page break inserted in the layout in the middle of the system?

-----Original Message-----
From: finale-boun...@shsu.edu
[mailto:finale-boun...@shsu.edu] On Behalf Of Eric Fiedler
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:38 AM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: [Finale] Layout misbehavior

Ok, I haven't run across this one before:
I have a long piece with 8 staves per system and, until
today, two systems fit well on one page. Now, suddenly, the
systems are arranged in Page View as follows:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | etc.
2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
that is, each system appears _twice, once at the bottom, once
at the top of the next page. In "Scroll View" everything is
fine, by the way, with no duplications of any kind.
"Update Layout" does nothing (my first thought) and neither
does "Data Check". In my desperation I finally exported the
file via Music XML and imported it again. The result was a
document with a _single_ system per page
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
and a strange symbol in the upper left corner which looks
like the old carriage return sign: |_>  In the new file I
can't get two systems onto one page, although there's enough
room. It would seem that this is being prevented by the
"carriage return" symbol.
Can anybody help me with this?
Eric

Habsburger Verlag Frankfurt (Dr. Fiedler)
www.habsburgerverlag.de
eric.f.fied...@t-online.de
e.fied...@em.uni-frankfurt.de