I am putting together some little booklets of recorder music for my fellow 
players and others.  The first 2 booklets are collections of pieces from the 
Balkans, and a bunch of Breton tunes, i.e. it's folk music.

I am doing this in Finale and am trying to keep the notation as succinct and 
economical as I can so there are fewer pages.
Many of the pieces are basically built from repetition of sections, for example:
||: a :||
||: b :||
here means play section b, then repeat it, then play section b.  That hopefully 
is clear enough.

But what if the piece is:
||: a :||: b :||: a :||: b :||: a :||:b:||

I don't want to write the music 3 times but want to specify the form using 
letters at the bottom of the page, with the section names placed above the 
music notation itself. Here are some alternatives:

AA BB AA BB AA BB
or just
A B A B A B 
or just
A B x 3
(hoping the reader will assume that each "A" or "B" is now just a section 
indication and the repeats are a part of that content.

Now for some pieces I have things like
||:a:||:b:||:b:||:c:||
||:a:||:b:||:b:||:c:||
||:d:||
||:a:||:b:||:b:||:c:||

which, if I leave out the repeats ((they are already represented in the 
notation anyway, could be reduced to:
A BB C
A BB C
D
A BB C

using letters.

Some people seem to like the repeats re - presented in the letter notation:
AA BB BB CC
AA BB BB CC
DD
AA BB BB CC

The redundancy offends me a bit.
What do people think?  The redundancy is good or confusing?

Graeme
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to