When a writing for tuba, the part should be written at sounding (concert)
pitch, correct? If the performer is using an Eb tuba, they don't need a
transposed part, do they?
Here's the situation, a group in France wants some of my band music.
However, they use Eb horns and Eb tubas. No problem to transpose the horn
parts for them, but I thought that Eb Tubists read concert pitch parts and
just learn different fingerings for the notes. Any low notes that are out of
range (Ab and below) are automatically played an octave higher.
Perhaps in France the current practice is different? Would the transposition
be similar to that of the Bari Sax?
It's a community group and I don't think the volunteer person (the
"librarian," I think) I'm dealing with is particularly musically inclined.
Also, I'm sure that some things are getting lost in translation.
Anyone have any idea what they're looking for?