I actually find the stacked up rests can be useful on occasions, especially
in older music.  I've had two examples of this this week when the number
indicating the number of rests was unclear - I very quickly looked at the
stacked rests to work out that the unclear number was an 8, not a 6, and
that it was a 2 not a 7.  This was sight-reading some Baroque music from old
parts.

I agree that in modern printed copies were numbers are clear, they aren't
really necessary.

Cheers,

Lawrence

--