On 25 May 2010 at 22:12, dc wrote:

> David W. Fenton écrit:
> >On 25 May 2010 at 20:47, dc wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to figure out exactly how to play this piece.
> > >
> > > There are three Menuets, that last of which is here:
> > >
> > > www.collins.lautre.net/files/da_capo.jpg
> > >
> > > The fermatas at the end of the first section are the standard way
> > > of indicating the "Fine" of the Da capo.
> > >
> > > When does one play Menuet 1 again? I'd say after the "Fine" of the
> > > Menuet 3 (i.e. after AABA), but that would make the placement of
> > > the "Menuet 1 Da capo" a bit strange. Any other interpretations?
> >
> >I'm not sure I understand. If there is no rubric after Menuet 2, I'd
> >say:
> >
> >   ABCA
> >
> >(ignoring internal repeats, of course)
> >
> >But if there's a repeat rubric at the end of Menuet 2, do what it
> >says, likely repeat Menuet 1:
> >
> >   ABACA
> >
> >But there's really not enough information without the exact text of
> >the rubrics.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your reply. So let me rephrase my question.
>
> Assuming Menuet 3 is played AABA, do you play Menuet 1 (it's
> definitely 1) after the third and last A? If so is it right to have
> the "Menuet 1 Da Capo" at the end of B?

OK, I get it now. I hadn't actually looked at the *music* to realize
this is not a standard rounded binary menuet. The menuet itself has
to be played AABBAA, which is indicated by the lower Da Capo at the
end. That it ends at the end of A is indicated by the fermata.

I think the Menuet i Da Capo is simply misplaced and should be at the
"Fine," i.e., at the fermata, at the end of A.

If you took the Menuet i Da Capo literally, it would make the Da Capo
and fermata meaningless, so it is surely just misplaced.