On 27 May 2010 at 15:43, John Howell wrote:

> And computer music
> files made 15 years ago can no longer be accessed
> and used by any modern computers as OSs evolve.

Is this really true on Windows?

I am surprised at the way Apple has handled OS X versioning. So far
as I can tell, if you break software between versions, it's not the
same OS version, but Apple still keeps incrementing the decimal
points and saying it's still OS X.

The other surprising thing to me is that there isn't any emulation
software for OS X so you could run a VM and run your older version of
OS X in order to run the old software.

I don't mean this as Apple bashing at all. It's more just an
observation of how things are, and that I'm surprised it works that
way.

I'm also stunned every time I find out how backwardly compatible
Windows is, even with old, nonstandard software. I hesitate to cast
MS in the role of "good guy" here, but I don't know of any software
for DOS/Windows that postdates the introduction of the IBM PC that
cannot be run on current versions of Windows (Win7, for instance),
whether directly or in a VM.