Date: Sun, 30 May 2010
Chris Bell <ch...@directionsinmusic.com> wrote:

> As a pianist/keyboardist I would feel confused by both of them.

> 1 I don't like the broken 16ths

I agree. Anything that makes the rhythm more difficult to grasp is undesirable.
(I hate the old style vocal scores that divide beams according to text
syllables, and this is very much the same sort of thing.)

> 2 I really don't like being told which hand to use, if you really
> need to put any indication in I would go for fingering . . . but then
> again . .

IMO 2 without any indication of which hand does what or any suggested fingering
is the best way to go. That gives the player a clean sheet on which to decide
their own preferences and work to their own strengths. Allowing the line to flow
from one staff to the other is visually clear.

Patsy Moore
Teaching accompanist
<pa...@mooremusic.org.uk>