At 7:46 AM -0400 6/2/10, dhbailey wrote:
Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

I'm talking about a willing ignorance. Karkoschka's book came out 40 years
ago, and it was encyclopedic -- a summing up of what was already in use.

Dennis: You may have a valid complaint, but at least aim it where it belongs. I was in college in the '50s, in grad school in the '70s. I was never exposed to what you're talking about in ANY class at ANY academic level. Either my teachers weren't aware of it (quite possible for many of them), they considered it peripheral (much as they considered early music notation, for the most part), or they deliberately performed triage on what SHOULD be taught and what COULD be taught in the time available (the most likely, in my opinion).

There was plenty of contemporary music being performed at Indiana when I was there in the '70s, but I didn't happen to be involved in very much of it, and what I was tended to be choral music. And yes, I DID learn to interpret what was on the page, but nobody ever suggested that it was anything but individual decisions by individual composers. But my personal interests were in other directions than contemporary non-pop, just as others made that their biggest interest.

And those personal interests have remained pretty much the same in my own teaching career, so I can't teach contemporary notation because I don't KNOW it, don't use it, and have very little need for it. Some of our students will, and will go on to join the core of the next generation that may take it for granted, and indeed some already have, but I have to say that no matter how long it's been in use, it's still unknown to a huge percentage of working musicians who have never had to use it or read it.

There's what seems to be an historical "rule" in music, that it takes a full generation for anything new to become accepted and "standard."

So *I* at least never made a conscious decision to remain ignorant, and it's hardly fair to blame performers who, like me, were never exposed to the music that you love so much and create. My late wife was a composition major, and did take a required notation course (required ONLY of composition majors, by the way), but I don't think that course went into contemporary notation, either. Like everything else, it's a matter of "learn-by-doing."

And yes, I'm conservative by nature.  Many people are.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.