On Jun 3, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Where I'm most in need of advice is with regard to the keyboard controller -- I'm looking for a nice, authentically piano-like weighted action. Don't need any onboard sounds. Don't want to break the bank. I'm hoping to get a complete package (including a pair of studio monitors I can place on top of the keyboard) for under $1000 (and the Garritan software is $400).

Hi Darcy,

Far be it from a clarinet player to give advice, about keyboards but...

I've used a Fatar controller for years and love the feel. Now days they're being marketed under the Studiologic name. Go here:

http://www.studiologic.net/sl-161pro.html

and look around a bit. I'm not sure if all of their controllers use Fatar keyboards, so make sure you're looking for that.

Dick H
Olympia, Wa