On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz
<bath...@maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> Maybe, like Albany, the composers pay? Most of the small labels are vanity
> operations -- or "artist funded", where the composer or performers have to
> apply for grants or raise money from family.

I understand that's how Naxos works pretty much-- the ensembles and or
conductors pay the label to release the recordings. I think it's about
10,000 USD per title. Very few of the artists on Naxos are paid
anything (I know Kevin Mallon and his ensembles are one of them
because he mentioned it specifically to me-- although an oboe player
from the New York Philharmonic paid Naxos and Mallon to do his vanity
recording of oboe concertos that was released about a year and half
ago) I know an early music orchestra that apparently had to help cover
the recording costs for a CD they did with Chandos too. I wondered why
didn't the ensemble just do their own recording and save all that
expense themselves? I guess the answer is-- the labels have the
distribution outlets. I think CPO and the German ensembles get a lot
more state support  in terms of grants and funding versus their
counterparts in the  U.K. or the United States.

Thanks
Kim