A student of mine asked a question about some articulations in percussion
music they found. These articulations (and a few related ones I found) also
happen to be in Finale's default articulation library. They are in these
slots:

1) Articulation 55 (Shape Selection 34) - it's a tenuto dash with a
semi-circle above/below it.
2) Articulation 61 (Shape Selection 46) - it's a circle with a diagonal
slash through it. Like the letter "ΓΈ."
3) Articulation 62 (Shape Selection 48) - it's a circle with a vertical
slash through it. This indicates closed hi-hat in Norman Weinberg's "Guide
to Standardized Drumset Notation."
4) Articulation 49 (Shape Selection 22) - it's a circle with a horizontal
slash from the center going left.
5) Articulation 60 (Shape Selection 44) - it's a plus sign (+). I normally
use this for stopped horn.

Are these standard articulations that a pro percussionist would be expected
to know? There's no legend in the music, but they're over cymbal parts, so I
guess they tell the performer how to clash the cymbals; on the edge, scrape
(swish), etc, akin to a pictogram.

The plus sign (+) I've not seen on metallic percussion, but on drums it
sometimes means a deadstroke or "muted." Could it mean choke or dampen the
sound so it doesn't ring?

Does anyone have any insight as to what these cymbal symbols mean?

What I have learned from this piece is this: always make a legend!

Thanks!