As a matter of fact, it can! Here is an excerpt from its specs:

Wide format printing
HP LaserJet 5100 family printers accommodate a wider format, unlike most laser printers:
Printing on paper sizes up to 312 x 470 mm (12.28 x 18.5 inches).
Producing full bleed images (up to A3 size and 279 x 432 mm [11 x 17 inches]) by printing images on larger paper that can be trimmed to the edges.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp? objectID=bpl11493&locale=en_US&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=74341&prodTypeId= 18972

When I googled
hp 5100 paper format

it was the first result after the commercial ones.

Christopher