On 10 Jan 2011 at 12:56, John Howell wrote:

> Could you or someone please explain why both operating
> systems seem to be so hung up on "multiple users"?

Security. It's all about security.

You need multiple user accounts to handle partitioning of
permissions. There may be only one user logon for a particular
machine, but there are going to be different accounts involved. For
instance, on Windows, there's a SYSTEM account that is used for
various system-related activities. It's not one you see defined in
the list of users, but it's a real account, nonetheless.

Any computer system needs to be partitioned into user-controlled data
and system-controlled data (i.e., administratively-controlled) in
order to maintain stability (early versions of Windows suffered from
instability precisely because of too loose a structure in this
regard, i.e., with plain users able to alter the OS and
applications).

You would not like a system that was not structured without such
segregation of data and permissions and security. It would be unsafe
and harder to use than what you have.

What I would say about this is that an application like Finale where
it's likely there will be user-edited templates, but that you'd want
to retain the ability to use the original templates ought to have
some kind of user interface to make it easy to manage your templates,
i.e., a UI that would take care of storing the templates in the right
locations so the user wouldn't need to be browsing the hard drive.

With a proper management UI, the user shouldn't really care where the
templates are stored.

But I've never seen any software with templates that has made it
really easy to manage templates. Of course, I also think the Finale
template model is about 20 years out of date, but that's another
issue entirely...