Well, I solved the problem, although it seems like a "bug" in the program.
My first violins were playing B five ledger lines above the staff, and the
tremolo articulation stubbornly kept insisting on displaying below the
staff. I temporarily transposed the passage down an octave, and the tremolos
appear in the right place.

Steve Larsen

Original post:

I'm using Finale 2011b on a PC, and I've run into a really vexing problem
with tremolo slashes. When I try to apply the tremolo marking to notes
written high above the staff (like Violin I) the tremolo sign ends up
appearing under the staff. When I click the handle to move it, it
immediately jumps to the top of the staff (not where I want it), and then
allows me to move it into the staff. Then, when I change the view on the
page by scrolling, it jumps back down to under the staff.

Any ideas?

Steve Larsen